Archive for August, 2010

Cancer fundraiser doll

Friday, August 27th, 2010

While in Shelbyville, Kentucky in April I accepted the challenge to decorate a blank doll for Leslie's fundraiser for breast cancer.  The dolls are due Sep. 15, and the auction will happen later that month and run through October.
MEMBreastCancerDoll1                                     We each chose a blank doll.  There were 3 sizes.  I chose the size 3 toddler.  She's a pretty big doll, as you can see in this photo.                                 I drew her face then started dyeing her body.  I wanted to use dyes as I didn't want to change the hand of the body fabric.  The first dyes I used didn't cover the cotton very well.  They were new to me and are suppose to be earth friendly.           
MEMBreastCancerDoll2I then went back to my favorite dyes – Dye Na Flow – by Jacquard.  They aren't really dyes, but act like a dye as they penetrate the fibers completely.  I was much happier.  I sprinkled some salt here and there and ended up with the look I wanted.  I also used some of Craftynotions.com's new multi surface paints and sprays.  Gave her a bit more color.

MEMBreastCancerDoll3Best Next I used some watered down craftynotions.com paints to add shading and highlights to the face.  I blushed her cheeks with their paints, too.  For her lips and eyes I used craftynotions.com paints, and to deepen the shading I mixed PearlEX powders with Golden's Matt Medium.  You can't see it in the photo, but the deeper shadows around her eyes really sparkle due to the PearlEX.  Pearl EX powders have to have something to grab onto, thus matt medium, or other fabric paints with pigment work well.

After the body was dry I used a metal screen and some Lumiere to add a design to her arms.  I tested this on her body until I got the look I wanted.  I found using a stencil brush and very little paint worked the best.  You can see the final result on her arms.

Tomorrow I will use stencils and Shiva Paintstiks to add more designs to her body and detail her face.  She still needs pupils, eyelashes, eyebrows and outlining of the lips.  After that I'll make her clothing.

Here's the website that tells about the fund raiser.  It is under Events:

http://www.makingendsmeet.com

Newest creation

Saturday, August 14th, 2010

Sometimes things work out for the best.  I had sent a doll to Australia for an article in their Dolls Bears & Collectibles magazine.  That was in April 2009.  The doll is still missing and the article was never published.  Which means, I now have her back.  At least the pattern.

Now, to the things working out for the best, I've had to remake the doll, which enabled me to add more step photo's to the pattern.
Ilmaria  

This is Ilmaria, Guardian of the Stars.  She's 16-inches of pure enjoyment.  She has a simple body, which means she can be embellished up the yahzoo.  Along with the pattern, with quite a few color step-photo's, I'm including the various laces and trims used on the sample doll.  

Ilmaria is the newest pattern on my website.  And, remember, January 2011 my website will be going bye bye.  I'll be moving everything here to Typepad, and shutting down the retail end of my business.  My patterns, books, etc., will still be available at Dollmakers Journey, Joggles, Clothdollpaterns.com, etc.

By the way, her hair was formerly on a jacket I found at a thrift/op store/shop.  It is Tibetan goat, which is my favorite fiber for hair.  It was the trim on the jacket.  The jacket cost me $4.99.  There's enough of the fur left to make dozens of dolls.

This is a short post as I need to get myself organized.  We've been entertaining a lot lately.  This evening we had our pastor and his wife over for dinner.  I was forced to give my kitchen a thorough cleaning yesterday when my food processor got too full and spewed cheesecake fixings all over the place, and me.  The cheesecake turned out just fine.  Both Barry (our pastor) and my husband devoured a couple pieces each.